5K views

I enrolled in the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in 2011 and have graduated.But it didn't live up to my expectations so I am sharing the good and bad with you.

Good: They share many diet theories, you get a health coach, they offer a good community and support for the students and best of all they give you great information and tools on starting your business...some of the best I've heard. And, yes, I feel more informed about health and nutrition. Not so good: The tuition is NOT tax deductible. You basically listen to diet theories that go from the healthy to the bizarre.

No text book. Not much teaching on how to counsel people. The tests are so easy that anyone can be a health coach so that means a complete wacko can graduate and be giving advice to innocent people. And the reality is if you are not a dietitian then you really are only qualified as , what I call, an accountability coach upon graduation.

They do not suggest you coach people with serious health problems.

Note: Check with your state to see if you can register your business as a health coach first.If not the school suggests registering as a life coach.

Had an Experience with Institute For Integrative Nutrition?

Comments

Well .....I have had a recent encounter with one of their 'graduates' ....

and the person was a total fraud. This person introduced themselves as a 'Wellness Coach' with a business card and then proceeded to burn me for thousands of dollars!!! They do not seem to educate their students with respect to honesty and integrity.....

which should be foremost in any school like this...

I am looking to sue this person ....and I would like to sue IIN as well....

I have several friends who have gained an IIN health coach certificate.I would not trust any of them for advice as I have spent a LIFETIME studying health and nutrition along with physiology, not just an online course with a few tests.

However, one friend currently attending has a 4+years science degree that will make her the better candidate for information/education. Health coaching has become the chronic dieter's method of maintaining thinness, not necessarily health. IIN is a total ***, which is what one of my friend now knows, after she spent all that money. Go to a legitimate school, gain a degree in nutritional science, etc.

"Health Coaches" are to the 21st century what "Personal Trainers" were to the end of the 20th century.

I can understand how you all feel.I graduated from IIN in 2009.

I would like to connect over the phone regarding a solution. If any of you are interested, please contact me via email to set up a time to chat.

Thanks!-Ana, anapaula53@gmail.com

It's funny... I was able to.deduct IIN from my taxes last year. Perhaps you need a better tax person.

to just helping Rockaway Township, New Jersey, United States #1316554

Hi

I jut read your blog post about being able to deduct IIN tuition

You wouldn't happen to know the EIN number for the school would you?

Hello All,

It has been over a year that I have held my tongue in response to this blog debate over IIN.This is my insight thus far if you choose to read.

I researched going to IIN spring of 2013 as I run a Wellness Center and was dabbling in adding holistic nutrition as one of the modalites we offered. I was so excited when I came across IIN’s website and I was ecstatic to sign-up despite the price tag- gosh darn it I was going to find a way.

But after talking to a close colleague who is a plant-based educator, she told me to do some more research as she had seen some things that were disconcerting with IIN. After my research I came to the same conclusion.

I also, came across Mr. Hick’s blog which also was a deciding factor to not pursue IIN’s program.

I feel like Mr. Hick’s post already speaks enough so I don’t need to regurgitate the info. I don’t disagree that prospective students of IIN or any of their graduates mean well and are passionate about wellness, unfortunately I do think they are being misled. And that is what is so disgusting.

It is one thing to be one of the major corporations that blatantly, in our faces, outright do bad things…it is another thing to hide under the disguise of trying to help others when really it is just about the money for them.

Tell me, why doesn’t Mr. Rosenthal state his credentials? Is it really...

I think, and this is my opinion, that it is easier to not disrupt major authorities by just having a “blanket curriculum” and it also fits in with American culture..the need for us to all be different and individual. But it has already been proven scientifically, that we can get all of our nutritional needs met via plant-based. And even if Mr. Rosenthal doesn't have any "traditional credentialing" he could admit that too, with honor, instead of staying mum about it and causing unncessary confusion.

And why is it that some of these “plant-based” authors and authority figures close their mouth when being asked the hard questions? Is it their fear of ridicule, social defamation, harm to self, or that the money source will close? I mean, if we really are about promoting wellness..than do that..and don’t do it half-heartedly. You also, got his brother heading up the American Association of Drugless Practitioners:http://www.aadp.net/ which seems to be another money-generating machine.

He or it has been around for over twenty years..but the only benefit I see is them listing people on their site directory..besides you paying a nice fee for their pretty certificate to display on your wall..cuz that’s what it’s about right? Consumers don’t always do their research but a nice, shiny thing..they must be reputable right? Or how about this one… https://www.iahcnow.org/ You can join for free and become a member of the International Health Coach association; where WITHOUT VERIFICATION you can get a fancy logo to post on your website and materials, get liability insurance, health insurance and more…schemy to me it seems again. Try it yourself, I made a fake profile a year ago but couldn’t remember my sign in and password..but I tried again recently and sure enough, immediately after registering I was good to go..interesting thing is this association says they are based out of Washington D.C.

but when you read their terms, any legal disputes are to be handled out of New York county, New York…interesting..as IIN is based out of New York county too. https://www.iahcnow.org/terms Also, why is it when joining that they ask you if you are an IIN graduate? And if you click on their link “Find a Health Coach”…it directly links to IIN? Weird coicidence?

I don’t know..I’m not officially an investigator but this is me just digging than the average Joe. https://www.iahcnow.org/about I think what bothers me most is that I do believe there is a valid need for Health Coaches in the Health/Wellness Sector…but not at the price of lies.

So, please everyone, yes lets change…but lets do it right..stop uplifting those that are in cahoots with the wrong kind of green.With that said, in all my learnings thus far, I have decided to take things to the next level..and make a plant-based food business…stay tuned :) Be Well

They seem to have improved a lot since you and the other person who commented went.There is a textbook now.

I'm currently enrolled and I love it. Learning a lot about business fundamentals, coaching skills, foundations for nutrition and wellness...

They also just announced that they are upgrading their services, tools, etc.for upcoming classes as well.

to Nikki Soap Lake, Washington, United States #909876

Go to a real school and do the work.

I just dropped out of IIN after attending for five months.I completely agree with the review above.

The school does not teach you the basics or foundation of nutrition, rather you jump right in the first week with lectures on bizarre health theories and a new one is introduced each week. Lectures also cover how to start your business. I would NEVER trust an IIN graduate as my "health coach" and that's why I had to quit - they don't teach you what you need to know to safely coach people to better health.

I was extremely disappointed and lost quite a bit of money.It was a huge waste of my time and I don't understand how they have so many followers.

to Lynn #909877

"'Health Coaches' are to the 21st century what 'Personal Trainers' were to the end of the 20th century." Comment from above.